Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Riverside Park

Freedom!  No parents or older siblings to yell at us, as we scampered around by the river.   My best girlfriend and I spent that summer playing in the woods that lined the river.  We found an old treehouse, crawled on rocks, and chased boys.  Or actually, hoped they would one day chase us. It was a time of discovery.  That pubescent time of life when the world can be anything you want it to be.  The time in life that has not been filled with anything worse than losing a library book.

Roxie and I were in a part of the area that had willows and brush that grew about waist high.  It was a beautiful day.  We were walking to the river, and chill bumps raced across my skin. I stopped walking and said, "A little girl died here.".  How I knew this, I do not have a clue, other than to say, I just KNEW and I felt fear for no apparent reason. A feeling of being chased overcame me and I took off running, willows slapping my arms and face, Roxie running right behind me.  I seem to remember the blue of the sky as I looked over my shoulder to make sure she was still there.  I seriously felt like I was being chased. That was the first of the messages that came through my mind, or the first time I listened, and the first time I was truly scared.

A few years went by before the next big experience.  And it was one I will never forget!  It was the most frightening experience I have ever had...

No comments:

Post a Comment